20th June 2017, 15:48 | yorkshire-mens-league

Queensbury celebrate successful Ireland trip

Queensbury celebrate successful Ireland trip

'Bury's long awaited tour to Ireland ended in a resounding victory in the Ashbourne sunshine.

Longhorns 10-42 Queensbury

With an early flight and a long wait before a 7.30pm kick off, 'Bury took to the field in Ashbourne against a Longhorns side eager to put one over the visitors from England.

Boasting both full and under 19 Irish internationals in their ranks, the home team were in confident mood on their all-weather pitch.

And so it proved as the first 20 minutes developed into a real arm wrestle, with good attack and defence from both sides.

'Bury had to be patient but finally, on 26 minutes, a jinking run from Billy Naylor opened up the Longhorns defence and a smart offload to the supporting Jimmy Simpson saw the first score of the game, duly converted by Robson Moore.

Two minutes later, a sharp ball from Jonjo Naylor found Arran Moore who burst through the line to race to the corner to put 'Bury 10-0 up.

But the Longhorns were fired into life and, on the next set, some weak tackling on the goalline saw Emmett Banahan force his way over to open their account, conversion missed.

The club are hopeful of more tours taking place in the future

Queensbury ran out convincing winners

It was turning into a real contest, with the hard hitting Irish side launching into tackles to try and disrupt the 'Bury plays.

But, eight minutes from half time, they were opened up by a deft kick from Billy Naylor which found Tom Hainsworth to pick up and score 'Bury's third try of the game.

An immediate response from the home team, following yet more penalties against Bury, saw Matt Connolly go in at the corner, nicely converted to bring the half time score to 10-14 in Queensbury's favour.

With both sides fired up for the second period, the play became more fluid.

'Bury's forward power through Liam Ruff, Sam Cheney, Jack Evison and Corey Knox began to tell and the sets became longer and harder for the home team to defend.

Desperate goal line defence on repeat sets saw Billy Naylor break through after 46 minutes, followed three minutes later by a smart play on the fifth from Robson Moore who squeezed through the defence to start to take control of the game.

Bury were on a roll and the Longhorns defence couldn't handle the power of the 'Bury running.

Liam Ruff was a man possessed and his powerful break and offload set up Billy Naylor for his second after 55 minutes, all converted by Ethan Sharp to give Bury a winning lead.

The game was played in good spirits

A host of fans made the trip over from West Yorkshire


The visitors were not finished yet and Jack Evison, as stand in hooker, put Tom Hainsworth in to run over the Longhorns winger to score in the corner, smartly converted by Sharp.

'Bury were running riot now despite the best efforts of the Longhorns who, to their credit, never gave up, being guided around the pitch by senior Ireland international Casey Dunne and Emmett Banahan.

However, with five minutes to go, a strong drive from Matty Kiernan set up the move which saw Jimmy Simpson off load to Tom Hainsworth to complete his hat trick.

The referee blew the final whistle early with the game won and 'Bury dominant.

Man of the Match went to Liam Ruff who stood out amongst an excellent team display with strong drives and big hits, taking the momentum away from the Longhorns at a crucial time.

The game was played in great spirit and was a good test for both teams in the first of hopefully many more tours for the Queensbury squad.

Queensbury would lik to extend their thanks to all involved in the Tour - coaches, players, sponsors, hosts and the supporters who made the trip over to watch the game.

Next week sees a return to Yorkshire Men's League Premier Division action with the visit of old foes Sharlston Rovers to Ovenden Park.