1st February 2018, 22:00 | Hull

Talanoa hat-trick inspires Hull FC comeback

Talanoa hat-trick inspires Hull FC comeback

Hull FC 38-12 Huddersfield Giants

Hull FC will travel to Australia on the back of a stunning second-half display as they came from behind to defeat Huddersfield Giants 38-12.

The Black and Whites fly to Australia on Friday in preparation for the first Betfred Super League match to take place outside of Europe when they face Wigan Warriors in Wollongong in round two.

The hosts started in positive fashion with powerful forward play earning two penalties for Marc Sneyd to convert and put Hull into a 4-0 lead. 

Huddersfield grew into the game and quickfire tries from Ryan Hinchcliffe and Umaki Ta'ai put the Giants 12-4 ahead before Albert Kelly crossed to reduce the gap to 12-10 at the break.

However, Hull ran in five tries in the second half with Fetuli Talanoa grabbing a hat-trick, while Jake Connor haunted his former side to touch down, Jamie Shaul crossed and Sneyd finished with seven goals as the hosts scored 34 unanswered points.

Hull head coach Lee Radford said: “It was everything I could have asked for. We got what we expected from them but when we went set-for-set with them in the second half, I felt we looked really strong.

“We looked sharp. I thought we looked really strong, physically really strong. Plus, we got exactly what we asked for and go on the plane with a W. We wanted to take some momentum on the trip."

Huddersfield head coach Rick Stone felt the scoreline slightly flattered Hull but believes his side can learn from their poor second-half showing.

“It was a bit of a Jekyll and Hyde (performance) really,” Stone said. “We competed really well in the first half.

“I’m disappointed that they scored a try right on half-time because I thought we worked hard for our two tries.

“But pretty much after that, we handed Hull plenty of opportunities, errors and camped ourselves in our own half. It turned into a little bit of a train crash really."