8th December 2017, 16:48 | university

UCLan edge past Liverpool to go top of the tree

UCLan edge past Liverpool to go top of the tree

Northern 2A round-up.

By Alastair Hancock

UCLan beat Liverpool 18-10 at the UCLan Sports Arena on Wednesday to move on level points with Salford at the top of BUCS Northern 2A on points difference.

Three tries from Nathan Ainsworth, Daniel Court and Todd Fenlon saw the home side take the two points in a tight affair.

Josh Dent, Chairman and Vice-Captain of UCLan, admitted post-match: "We went into the game knowing that it was going to be a really tough game, as they were unbeaten and had convincingly beat Salford who we lost to in the first game of the year."

However, UCLan started the game well, as after ten minutes they went ahead through Nathan Ainsworth.

The loose forward cleverly dummied a pass on the half way line and ran 40 metres to outpace Liverpool's fullback and touch down. Kicker Rob Marsh converted the kick to make it 6-0.

UCLan continued their quick start, as they got their second try through Daniel Court. The hosts pressured the Liverpool line with hooker Coby Kitsen opening a gap with a quick-fire pass for centre Daniel Court to cut inside and bulldoze his way over the line.

UCLan extended their advantage before the break, as Todd Fenlon went over. The centre made a run down the line off a set play to ease over the whitewash. Marsh added the extras to make it 16-0 at half time.

Chairman Dent said: "We started the game really well by making good metres through our forwards and our defence was awesome too!"

In the second 40, the away side hit back with Ollie Kesner touching down under the posts.

UCLan's defence started to slip, as a high attacking kick bounced in front of the fullback but Kenser capitalised and ran towards the line. Sam Grindey made it 16-6 with the conversion.

More mistakes by UCLan allowed Liverpool to close the score gap to 16-10, as they scored through Will Mac. A brilliant run by Mac allowed him to beat his man and dart over but Grindey failed with the attempted kick.

With 20 remaining, UCLan made a period of pressure count, as they received a penalty from the referee. Marsh stepped up and added the two points to make it 18-10.

The home side saw out the victory and Vice-Captain Dent said: "The last 15 minutes felt like we were just constantly defending and all the boys defended great and showed heart and determination to see out the victory against a very good Liverpool side."

He added: "I'm proud of the boys for their efforts and hopefully in the New Year we will continue our good form and get a good cup run starting on the 7th February."

Chairman of Liverpool, Ollie Kesner revealed: "Overall, we're disappointed with the result. UCLan played well but we weren't clinical enough with the chances we had."

Elsewhere in the league, Chester came out winners in a 34-32 thriller against Lancaster University to pick up their first two points of the season.

Featured image credit: UCLan Rugby League