2nd December 2017, 13:55 | university

Beckett double up on reigning champions

Beckett double up on reigning champions

Premier North round-up

By Dan Richardson

This week in the Premier North, Leeds Beckett beat Northumbria for the second time this season, this time with a 14-6 home win.

Northumbria, last year’s champions, have not lost a game since their last meeting with Leeds Beckett in October. The score line was much closer in that match, as Beckett snatched it with a 19-13 away win.

The man-of-the-match this time around, Jacob Morgan, scored back in October but didn’t manage to get himself on the scoresheet this week. Instead it was Sam Druce and Sian Jones who got over the line, with Sam Druce converting both and was also successful with his penalty attempt.

Leeds Beckett Assistant Coach, Paul Cook, said: "It was a tough win against the champions, but we put in a great defensive effort and it was good to do the double over them."

Northumbria managed just the one try, which came courtesy of Alex Clegg, followed by a Dan Coates conversion. The away side awarded a joint man-of-the-match to both Sam Luckley and Liam McAvoy.

"I'm obviously really disappointed with the result; we have won the league the previous two years so it’s a title we wanted to keep but it wasn’t to be,” said Northumbria’s Jason Payne.

He added: “We have some time off now and then we need to bounce back for the playoffs. We judge success on whether we win the last game of the season and I know Leeds are the same so it’s all still to play for."

Elsewhere in the Premier North, Hull earned a home win over Newcastle in yet another tight match, eventually beating them 24-16.

The home side scored just one more try than their opponent, as Kyle Saunders got two and Joe Mankel and David Kitenge scored once each. All conversion attempts from Ryan Langton were successful, and Nathan Hill was given the man-of-the-match award. 

Newcastle's three tries came from Jason Bass with two, and then a final try from Harry May. Just the two attempts were successful from Matt Hogg as the man-of-the-match was given to Jack Earl.

The final match that was due to take place in the Premier North, which would have seen Leeds host Nottingham, was cancelled.